32 Things Before I’m 32: Item #1, (Finally) Reupholster Some Furniture (part one)

Initially I planned to hold off starting my “32 Things Before I’m 32” tasks until I turned 31, but I’m terribly impatient, and my BFF Becky pointed out that there was really no reason for me to wait.

So, for my first task I decided to finally reupholster my antique trunk, a gift from my mother. I’ve had the trunk since I was in high school, and my mother had last recovered it for me back in 2005, when I was getting my first off campus apartment. She covered it in brown vinyl that looked like leather, so I could use it as a coffee table. I left it that way even though I didn’t love it, mostly because I am lazy.

The trunk.
The trunk.

However, yesterday while shopping for fabric to cover the dining chairs (that will be part two of this task) I came across this fantastic Parisian themed home decor fabric (ON SALE!) and couldn’t not get some. I bought a yard, with no idea as to what I would do with it. But then, while getting ready to head back out to see The Bloggess (another entry for another day?) it occurred to both me and Becky that this fabric was PERFECT for recovering the trunk!

Don't you love it?
Don’t you love it?

I was excited to get it done, so after Becky headed back home this morning I made my way back to Joann Fabrics and bought trim and some foam (to create a cushion, which it didn’t have before) and settled down for a little fun.

You can see the damage that Pickwick has done.
You can see the damage that Pickwick has done.

First, I ironed the fabric and got it as crease-free as I possible could.

Bye-bye creases!
Bye-bye creases!

Then I took the old vinyl and trim off the trunk.

Not so pretty without a cover.
Not so pretty without a cover.
You can see here all the little nails that held on the trim. I forgot to buy nails to put on the new trim, so dug every single one of these out to reuse them.
You can see here all the little nails that held on the trim. I forgot to buy nails to put on the new trim, so dug every single one of these out to reuse them.

Once I got the old cover off, I measured and cut the foam to size (I apparently didn’t bother to photograph this) and figured out how I wanted the fabric to lay.

I like it!
I like it!

Once I got it exactly where I wanted it, I (carefully) stapled it in place.

IMG_0012

Most people fold the fabric under and staple underneath, but I didn’t want to damage the decorative wood on the underside, plus it wood look weird.

Once I got the fabric stapled down perfectly (or mostly), I cut off the excess and attached new trim with the same teeny tiny nails that held down the old trim.

This was harder than you'd expect - the nails were tiny and some went right through the trim.
This was harder than you’d expect – the nails were tiny and some went right through the trim.

But then, I was done! And the finished product was beautiful.

The trim is complete!
The trim is complete!
The finished product.
The finished product.
One more, for good measure.
One more, for good measure.

I think it turned out pretty great! The whole project took me about 2 1/2 hours total, not including a break to eat chocolate and having to hide while Jason got the ironing stuff out of the closet hiding my birthday present.

This kind of reupholstery is easier than you’d think, and a great project for anyone wanting to make a major decorative change in their decor without buying new furniture.

Next week I plan to recover (and re-cushion) 6 dining chairs: stay tuned for part two!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s