32 Things Before I’m 32: Item #1, Reupholster Some Furniture (part two)

Welcome to the second part of my adventures in reupholstering furniture! Part one of this task featured the recovering on my trunk, using fabric I found while actually shopping for fabric for this project: covering the dining chairs. This project was not hard, per se, but it took longer than I had anticipated and left me quite exhausted.

We got our table and chairs from my mother, who bought them off someone on Craigslist, I think. They were about $100 for the table and 6 chairs; a steal, even if some of the chairs were beat up. Two of the chairs had practically no cushioning left, and another two were a little worn down, but two chairs looked like they had never been sat in. The fabric that was on the chairs wasn’t bad, but we felt we needed something with a little more pop.

The Before
The Before

You can see how that cushion on the left needs a little TLC. Unfortunately I didn’t get to give it as much as it needed because I didn’t have the right materials. But that’s ok, it still looks pretty good.

Purdy.
Purdy.

I got this fabric at Joann’s Fabric last weekend, when Becky Neal was visiting. I originally wanted the colors to be red and off white (so it wasn’t too loud), but this fabric spoke to me. It’s technically outdoor upholstery fabric, so it won’t fade or wear down easily, plus it’s easy to clean. It wasn’t cheap though, I bought 3 yards at $21/yard (and I have very little left over). When I told Jason the total last weekend, his eyes got really big.

Pickwick decided to help.
Pickwick decided to help.
See, very helpful.
See, very helpful.

I started with one of the best looking chairs, deciding to carefully remove the cover so I could use it as a pattern for the rest of the chairs. I began by unscrewing the seat from the rest of the chair. Unfortunately I wasn’t really paying attention to how the chair was built, and accidentally took a leg off instead. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to get those pesky screws back in place.

Can you see how easy this comes off? Apparently I did not.
Can you see how easy this comes off? Apparently I did not.

Once I got the seat removed (four screws, seriously Cervone, what’s your issue?) I painstakingly removed the million and one staples from the underside of the seat, preserving the white fabric and the cover to the best of my ability.

Staples!
Staples!
So many staples.
So many staples.
Seriously, who needs this many staples?
Seriously, who needs this many staples?

After removing the cover, I then yanked all the broken and loose staples out of the chair, to make sure they didn’t get in the way. This took me nearly an hour, but it was (probably) worth it.

Tada!
Tada!

The cover kept its shape pretty well – I laid it on the new fabric and drew a basic outline. Since the original fabric had a little stretch and the new fabric didn’t, I cute the new fabric slightly large and more square. I figured I could trim it down once I attached it.

This is gonna be good.
This is gonna be good.

Then I just stapled, stapled, and stapled some more. The first chair was the easiest, because once I finished it, I needed to make the rest look as similar as possible. Harder than you think.

IMG_0017
Not so bad, Cervone.

After it was done, I reattached it to the chair.

Classy.
Classy.
IMG_0019
The new and the original. Fantastic upgrade, if I do say so myself.

Then I did that for three more chairs (on one chair I just ripped the fabric to shreads, it was great). My hands were really hurting. There were a few mishaps: there was a thin layer on padding on all the chairs that I didn’t expect, and on the two pretty ok seats the padding had started to disintegrate. I was able to salvage it, mostly, but I wish I had been able to replace it.

The thin foam, falling apart.
The thin foam, falling apart.

I needed to replace the cushions for two of the chairs, so I completely removed the cushion from one of the chairs and traced the wooden seat on some foam to get the shape right. However, without that thin layer of padding the cushions won’t hold their shape correctly and there are hard edges where the wooden seat isn’t covered.

Fooooooooam.
Fooooooooam.
Can you see how crappy this seat is?
Can you see how crappy this seat is?

I ended up putting the rest of the project on hold (since we only use 4 chairs at a time) until I get the thin foam, and will finish it next weekend (probably).

Finished or not, the upgrade is really fantastic, and I’m glad I took the six hours to do it. While not the cheapest upgrade either, it was still less expensive than buying six new dining chairs. I sent a picture to Michelle, and now she wants me to recover her dining chairs. I probably will, for the price of dinner and maybe some wine, because I really had a lot of fun.

The (mostly) finished product.
The (mostly) finished product.

Until next time!

Advertisements

One thought on “32 Things Before I’m 32: Item #1, Reupholster Some Furniture (part two)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s